Monday, June 11, 2012

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree

It was a regular evening in the Glue household today. We finished our dinner, cleaned up the dishes, played with our children and were ready to take them to bed. That's when something remarkable happened - my daughter let out a huge sneeze and take a look at what fell out of her nose.

Yup that's right - a plastic bead. I'm guessing it is something she put up her nose at daycare when no one was looking. They take very good care of her at daycare so she must have been very sneaky!
What is astonishing is that she had this bead in her nose for most of the day and it didn't bother her. When I asked her about it she explained very calmly that she had put a bead in her nose, as if it was a very normal thing to do. I spent a few minutes telling her that sticking things in the nose was a bad idea but she didn't seem to agree.
I was perplexed and unsure what to do next, when suddenly I remembered this alarming story I heard about this other two year old that once stuck moth balls up her nose. The family had moved to a new house and this little girl found some moth balls and put one in each nostril. Her mom found her acting very drowsy. The moth balls had started to melt from the heat in her breath. They took her to the hospital and the doctors had to hold her down and extract the moth balls from her nose.

That little girl was me and since I have the memory of an elephant - I actually remember looking at the moth balls in my hand and sticking them in my nose. I remember being restrained in the hospital and I remember the huge scolding I got from my mother. Now I know how she felt - sorry Ammu!



No comments:

Post a Comment