Monday, September 16, 2013

You don't know the value of your teeth until you lose them

The title of this post is a Bengali saying which means that people take the little things for granted. That's what I realized today. For the first time in a long time, my husband had something to do after work today. As he was walking out the door, I had a moment of panic. There were two hungry kiddies running around the kitchen, there were unwashed dishes in the sink and to top it off I had a huge todo list to complete including some work related items.
The funny thing is he used to take a course a few years ago when children were smaller and needed more care, but I never felt this way back then when he left me alone with the kids. So what did I do? I took a big breath and dove in. I -
1. Fed the children
2. Put away the dinner mess

3. Cooked fried rice for the kids school lunch tomorrow

4. Built a trio helicopter with the kids

5. Helped my son with his writing

6. Made a puzzle with my children

7. Played hide and seek with them
8. Changed them into their PJs
9. Brushed their teeth

10. Read to them/with them
11. Said prayers and put them to sleep
12. Finished my work assignment
All the single parents out there, stay at home moms for whom it never stops and those women whose husbands just never help - I have a new found respect for you! I am exhausted. Also I very much appreciate my husband. Not only is he a good father and husband, but he is also a major cutie! I scored!

No comments:

Post a Comment