Tuesday, October 29, 2013

About Time

I am one of these people that can never turn down free movie tickets. Back in university I wasted 117 minutes of my life watching the Birdcage (worst Robin Williams movie ever) all because I was offered free tickets to a screening. Well fast forward to last Wednesday and I was having déjà vu. My husband obtained free tickets to the screening of About Time. The premise was  - a story about a man who learns he can time travel on his 21st birthday, oh and Rachel McAdams was in it. It sounded like a cross between Notebook (ewww) and Time Traveler’s wife (depressing).


Ten minutes into the movie I realized that my assessment was wrong. About Time is a wonderfully compelling story about a very kind person that uses his gifts to try and fix what he can for the people he loves. Without giving to much away, there were two main messages that really resonated with me. One is the importance of being kind and what a difference kindness makes in the lives of others. The second message was to choose to be happy. No matter what life throws your way, it is up to you to decide whether you are going to be happy or unhappy. This is such a powerful message for me because my life is far from ideal so to know that I don’t have to wait for things to be perfect, it’s my choice to be happy is empowering.

No comments:

Post a Comment