Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Losing my native tongue

My daughter's daycare class is learning about farm animals. Her teacher asked parents to translate the names of the animals to other languages. I love that her teacher tries to incorporate bits of our cultural in the classroom. Here are the animals translated into my native tongue, Bengali.

I wonder if my kids will grow up learning any Bengali. We speak English at home since my husband doesn't speak Bengali. I don't know how to read and write Bengali properly. I tried to learn it when I was 16 but it was too late. I can speak it fluently and I love Bengali songs. The lullabies I sang to my children were in Bengali and I hope one day when they grow up they will at least explore the language.

2 comments:

  1. I had to book a Bengali interpreter for our court the other day and was thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Surprisingly, there are quite a few bengalis in London Ont. I just haven't met them yet!

    ReplyDelete