Sunday, June 2, 2013

The family that bakes together



Eats cake together.
I don't have a picture of us eating cake. I've been really lazy lately, as you may have ascertained by my lack of recent posts. It's also been crazy. I had to bake things for my son's school.  For those of you who have children in North America, you know what I'm talking about. There's always a fundraiser/event/school fair that requires parents to send in baked goods. For those of you that know me......I am not a very good baker. I made these brownies in what I thought was an edgeless brownie pan, but instead it was a square muffin pan. I didn't think it would make a big difference, but it did. My brownies came out as big blocks of dry cake instead of dense fudge like brownies. I was going to send them into his school anyway, my reputation as a perfect suzie homemaker be damned!!!! But just as I was gently lowering the brownies into the receptacle the school sent home for the baked goods to be delivered in, I read the instructions - Cakes and cupcakes only! So then I had to start from scratch with cupcakes. Here's what I did:
1. Bought cake mix (what? I said I wasn't a very good baker!)
2. Bought frosting (see above)
3. Preheated the oven
4. Followed the directions on the back of the box and made some batter
5. Put cupcake liners in the muffin pan.
6. Filled the liners to the top with batter.
7. Put the muffin tins in the oven and went sit and relax
I read a book whilst waiting the obligatory 21 minutes for the cupcakes to be done. At 15 minutes, instead of smelling heavenly vanilla, I smelt acrid smoke. I looked in the glass window of the oven and it was clouded over with wisps of smoke. I did what any sensible women of six and thirty would do. I yelped for my husband. He came down and spent a good 5 minutes laughing at me before he started to help. You see, he may have passed by the kitchen when I was at step 6 and told me that I wasn't supposed to fill the liners to the top. I, of course pooh poohed his suggestion, which really since I had never made cupcakes before, I shouldn't have done. The batter had spilled over the sides of the muffin pan and had fallen on the element below. My clever husband made the oven stop smoking and saved the cupcakes. Since my confidence was shot, he also frosted the cupcakes for me. Really he is my hero.
The school fair went really well. No one said anything disparaging about my cupcakes, which was a relief as I was afraid they might have taken on the flavour of smoke. My son won a outdoor water gift basket at the fair, part of which was a set of dollar store water guns. Now we have a strict no toy gun policy at our house. My poor son isn't even allowed to make a gun out of lego, but seeing as he won these, I couldn't deny him the chance to play with them. It was the funniest thing ever. He soaked my husband from head to toe, which made my husband very upset.

I also got some shots in on my husband from behind the sliding door, which resulted in my husband doing this:

Men can be such babies sometimes!

No comments:

Post a Comment