Friday, November 29, 2013

Better late than never

It is a universal truth that the second child grows up too fast. It is not a truth I always knew. In fact in she started crawling at eight months, where as my son conquered crawling at seven months. My son took his first steps at eleven months and my daughter waited until her first birthday to take her first steps. I didn't mind that she was slower at reaching these milestones. She is my last after all, I wanted her to be little forever. 
Well not all my wishes came true. These days the milestones are flying by. She learnt to zip her own coat at the same time as her brother. She got out of her high seat before she turned three. She is reading "B" Level books already in JK whereas her brother took much longer to graduate to "B" books. Watching her grow is like seeing things in time warp speed. It's breathtaking and heartbreaking at the same time.  
There is one thing that will always remain the same about my daughter. She is not a delicate flower by any means. From the moment she was born she has always had a very strong personality. She has always found a way, verbally or not to make her opinions known. I love this about her. Even though she is only four, I sense a strength in her, an ability to navigate through the waters of life. Right now that strength translates into spending a lot of time explaining to her why things don't always happen how she expects. Thankfully her strength is tempered by her extremely sweet nature. She is very understanding, empathetic and caring. I have no doubt that when it is her turn, she will make an amazing mother. Until then, I am honored to be her mother. When I'm not too busy parenting her, I am in awe of how much fun she is to hang out with. Her name means light and really she lives up to her name. Thank you for being the light of my life Raya! Happy Birthday! I love you!






No comments:

Post a Comment